PNND Event Report
May 8, 2009
On 8 May PNND hosted a panel at the Preparatory Committee meeting of States Parties to the 2010 NPT Review Conference at the United Nations in New York.
The panel was chaired by Alyn Ware (PNND Global Coordinator) and included presentations by Dennis Kucinich ( US Congress), Bill Siksay MP (Canada), Bill Kidd MP (Scotland), Ambassador (ret) Robert Grey Jr (Chair of the US Bipartisan Security Group), Hideo Hiraoka MP (Japan) and Mayra Gomez (PNND Senior Program Officer). Contributions were also made by Kenzo Fujisue MP (Japan), Ambassador Anda Filip (UN representative for the Inter-Parliamentary Union) and Pol D’Huyvetter (Mayors for Peace).The event included distribution and discussion of the:
- Parliamentarians Declaration Supporting a Nuclear Weapons Convention, released by a cross-party group of Members of the European Parliament;
- UN Secretary-General’s five-point plan on nuclear disarmament which calls for work on a nuclear weapons convention or package of agreements;
- IPU Resolution on the Role of Parliamentarians to Advance Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament which calls on parliaments to promote the UN Secretary-General’s plan;
- European Parliament report and resolution on the NPT which includes support for the Model Nuclear Weapons Convention;
- Draft Treaty for a North-East Asian Nuclear Weapon Free Zone released by the Democratic Party of Japan; and the
- Explanatory document of the International Renewable Energy Agency which was established in January this year.
For more information see:
- Video presentation by Dennis Kucinich
- Presentation by Hideo Hiraoka
- The Role of Parliamentarians in Advancing a Nuclear Weapons-Free World (article from NPT News in Review)
Jonathan Granoff is the President of the Global Security Institute, a representative to United Nations of the World Summits of Nobel Peace Laureates, a former Adjunct Professor of International Law at Widener University School of Law, and Senior Advisor to the Committee on National Security American Bar Association International Law Section.