The network of Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament (PNND) held a resoundingly successful Annual Assembly in Washington, DC, February 25-28, 2014. US Senator Ed Markey functioned as honorary Chair of the event, which was organized jointly by PNND and the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, with support from the Simons Foundation and the Kazakhstan Embassy to the United States.
Here are just some of the highlights:
- Over 300 participants attended the PNND reception at the historic Kennedy Caucus Room in the US Senate, including both Democrat and Republican members of congress and over 30 congressional staffers. The reception included an incredible presentation by Karipbek Kuyukov, Honorary Ambassador of the ATOM Project, and an exhibition of his profound paintings;
- The Assembly adopted a Statement for the Nuclear Security Summit;
- PNND Co-President Senator Markey used the occasion of the PNND Assembly to submit his SANE Act, (Smarter Approach to Nuclear Expenditure) to the U.S. Senate;
- There were articles on the assembly and reception in National Journal, Voice of America and Roll Call, the latter of which was distributed to every congressional office;
- PNND cooperation with Global Zero was strengthened. The PNND conference dinner featured Ambassador Richard Burt, U.S. Chair of Global Zero. A number of PNND leaders represented at the Assembly are also Global Zero members. And a follow-up strategy meeting we organised included the Global Zero US campaign director.
- We have an exciting new group of Co-Presidents and Council Members appointed at the Assembly;
- We had participation in the Assembly by legislators, legislative assistants, disarmament experts, government reps, and reps from the UN (High Rep on Disarmament), ICRC, Red Cross, IPU, Mayors for Peace, Peace Boat, Abolition 2000, IPPNW, the ATOM Project, Global Zero, Religions for Peace, Green Cross and other civil society organisations;
- We received a letter from the Vice-President of the United States commending the announcement of the Alan Cranston Award to PNND Co-Presidents Ed Markey and Uta Zapf.
- Summary report by PNND Coordinator Alyn Ware
- Keynote luncheon remarks by UN High Representative Angela Kane
- GSI President Jonathan Granoff’s presentation, “The Goal of Global Security“
- Senator Douglas Roche’s presentation, “The Power of Parliamentarians in Abolishing Nuclear Weapons“
- Assembly program
- Photo gallery
- Invite to the Reception: Ending the Terror of Nuclear Weapons
- White House petition on Kazakhstan, PNND and the Global Security Institute