Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
Nobel Peace Laureates are an important voice for a safer, saner planet. Through the World Summits of Nobel Peace Laureates, they call the world’s attention to the dangers of nuclear weapons and issue morally authoritative declarations on the urgency of a nuclear weapons-free world.
GSI Advisory Board member Mikhail Gorbachev founded the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, and several GSI leaders have been active in Nobel Laureate Summits, as representatives of Laureate Organizations such as Pugwash, the International Peace Bureau, or as an official Adviser to the Summit Secretariat.
Documents of the Summits
- Appeal to the Youth of the World
- Hiroshima Declaration on the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons
- Charter for a World Without Violence
- Three Questions to Preserve Our Duty to the Next Generation
- Rome Declaration of the Nobel Laureates
- Gwanju Declaration
Video Footage of the Summits
- The Choice is Ours: Living with terror or building peace, presentation by Jonathan Granoff (2011). Other participants on the panel include Nobel Laureates His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Jody Williams and FW De Klerk.
- Tear Down this Wall! (2009) Other participants on the panel include Mikhail Gorbachev, Nobel Laureate and former premier of the Soviet Union and Williem De Klerk, Nobel Laureate and former president of South Africa.
- Press Conference of the 8th Nobel Peace Laureates Summit (2007) Participants include: Mikhail Gorbachev, former premier of the Soviet Union; His Holiness the Dalai Lama; Mairead Corrigan Maguire; Muhammad Yunus; and Betty Williams.
- Terrorism and Security (2005). Nobel Laureate and Laureate organizations present at the summit included Mikhail Gorbachev, Kim Dae-Jung, Lech Walesa, Joseph Rotblat, Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Betty Williams, the United Nations Children’s Fund and the United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees, among others.
- Peace and Security (2004) Participants at the 4th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates included Nobel Laureates Mikhail Gorbachev, The XIV Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso, Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Shimon Peres, Joseph Rotblat, Oscar Arias Sanchez, Lech Walesa, Betty Williams and Jody Williams.
- Press Conference of the 4th Nobel Peace Laureates Summit, remarks by Jonathan Granoff (2003)
- Building a Culture of Peace, presentation by MPI Chairman Douglas Roche, O.C. (2003)
Speeches by GSI leaders at the Summits
- International Peace Bureau Report of Contributions to the Nobel Peace Laureates Summits (2002-2006)
- A Moment To Seize, Jonathan Granoff (2009)
- Axis of Responsibility, Jonathan Granoff (2007)
- Freedom from the Scourge of War, Jonathan Granoff (2007)
- Gaining Confidence in Nuclear Disarmament Steps, Douglas Roche, O.C. (2006)
- A Time for Action: The report of the Weapons of Mass Destruction Commission, Jayantha Dhanapala (2006)
- A Call of Conscience, Jonathan Granoff (2006)
- Ending War, Pursuing Peace, Jonathan Granoff (2006)
- Lifting up the World: Building a Culture of Peace, Alyn Ware (2004)
A film inspired by the commemorations of the 75th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Featuring Mikhail Gorbachev, former President of the Soviet Union, and George Schultz, former Secretary of State of the United States. Intro by Jonathan Granoff. "...a nuclear war...
Two of the prominent panel discussions of the 17th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Meridá, Mexico were entitled The Power of Law vs. The Law of Power, and Four Priorities for Nuclear Disarmament. GSI President Jonathan Granoff was a speaker on the...
From September 19 - 22, the Nobel Peace Prize laureates gathered in Meridá, Mexico for the 18th annual World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates. In one of the many impactful panels of the weekend, GSI President Jonathan Granoff participated in a discussion on...
click image to watch Former President of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev sent a very personal and...
The World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, of which the Global Security Institute is a long-time associate, has a powerful element of youth participation, including special panels for youth with Nobel laureates, joint activities with youth organization,...
In additional to the Final Declaration of the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates in Meridá, Mexico, the Nobel laureates makde a special declaration about the establishment of a culture of peace: TEXT OF DECLARATION: The undersigned, gathered in Mérida,...