Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
Nobel Peace Laureates are an important voice for a safer, saner planet. Through the World Summits of Nobel Peace Laureates, they call the world’s attention to the dangers of nuclear weapons and issue morally authoritative declarations on the urgency of a nuclear weapons-free world.
GSI Advisory Board member Mikhail Gorbachev founded the World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, and several GSI leaders have been active in Nobel Laureate Summits, as representatives of Laureate Organizations such as Pugwash, the International Peace Bureau, or as an official Adviser to the Summit Secretariat.
Documents of the Summits
- Appeal to the Youth of the World
- Hiroshima Declaration on the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons
- Charter for a World Without Violence
- Three Questions to Preserve Our Duty to the Next Generation
- Rome Declaration of the Nobel Laureates
- Gwanju Declaration
Video Footage of the Summits
- The Choice is Ours: Living with terror or building peace, presentation by Jonathan Granoff (2011). Other participants on the panel include Nobel Laureates His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Jody Williams and FW De Klerk.
- Tear Down this Wall! (2009) Other participants on the panel include Mikhail Gorbachev, Nobel Laureate and former premier of the Soviet Union and Williem De Klerk, Nobel Laureate and former president of South Africa.
- Press Conference of the 8th Nobel Peace Laureates Summit (2007) Participants include: Mikhail Gorbachev, former premier of the Soviet Union; His Holiness the Dalai Lama; Mairead Corrigan Maguire; Muhammad Yunus; and Betty Williams.
- Terrorism and Security (2005). Nobel Laureate and Laureate organizations present at the summit included Mikhail Gorbachev, Kim Dae-Jung, Lech Walesa, Joseph Rotblat, Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Betty Williams, the United Nations Children’s Fund and the United Nations High Commissioner of Refugees, among others.
- Peace and Security (2004) Participants at the 4th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates included Nobel Laureates Mikhail Gorbachev, The XIV Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso, Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Shimon Peres, Joseph Rotblat, Oscar Arias Sanchez, Lech Walesa, Betty Williams and Jody Williams.
- Press Conference of the 4th Nobel Peace Laureates Summit, remarks by Jonathan Granoff (2003)
- Building a Culture of Peace, presentation by MPI Chairman Douglas Roche, O.C. (2003)
Speeches by GSI leaders at the Summits
- International Peace Bureau Report of Contributions to the Nobel Peace Laureates Summits (2002-2006)
- A Moment To Seize, Jonathan Granoff (2009)
- Axis of Responsibility, Jonathan Granoff (2007)
- Freedom from the Scourge of War, Jonathan Granoff (2007)
- Gaining Confidence in Nuclear Disarmament Steps, Douglas Roche, O.C. (2006)
- A Time for Action: The report of the Weapons of Mass Destruction Commission, Jayantha Dhanapala (2006)
- A Call of Conscience, Jonathan Granoff (2006)
- Ending War, Pursuing Peace, Jonathan Granoff (2006)
- Lifting up the World: Building a Culture of Peace, Alyn Ware (2004)
Nobel Peace Laureates Express Grave Concern about New Nuclear Arms Race, Call for Strengthening of NPT and UN
Event Report by Dr. Urs Cipolat, University of California, Berkeley Rome, Italy November 12, 2004 From 10-13 November, twenty-three Nobel peace laureates and laureate organizations met in Rome, Italy for the 5th Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates. As in previous...
GSI Event Report by Jonathan Granoff (Head of Delegation), Alyn Ware (IPB Vice-President), and Urs Cipolat (programme and technical support) Rome, Italy November 12, 2004 From 10-13 November, twenty-five Nobel Peace Laureates and their organizations met in Rome, Italy...
Event Report Rome, December 1, 2003 This has been a year of struggle, war and extraordinary efforts by those who yearn for a world at peace. Despite many set backs, especially the US government's promotion of new nuclear weapons and doctrines that lower the...
Report of the Third World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates GSI Report Rome October 19-20, 2002 From October 19-20, 2002, the City of Rome hosted the 3rd World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates. Jonathan Granoff, President of the Global Security Institute, and Senator...
By Senator Douglas Roche, O.C. October 19-20, 2002 Rome SUMMARY: The 3rd World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates was held at Rome October 19-20, 2002, under the sponsorship of Mikhail Gorbachev, President of the Gorbachev Foundation and the Nobel Peace Laureate of 1990....
Nobel Peace Laureates are an important voice for a safer, saner planet. Through the World Summits of Nobel Peace Laureates, they call the world's attention to the dangers of nuclear weapons and issue morally authoritative declarations on the urgency of a...